Since I didn't know how exactly he would like camping, I wanted a gentle introduction to the outdoors. Also, I needed a place fairly close to home in case I had to bail out and drive him home in the middle of the night! Brazos Bend State Park fit the bill perfectly.
We pulled into our driveway and the mad packing began. I threw the bags, tent, and my box of camping gear into the back of the truck. While Robyn went to the store for provisions, I shoved some clothes into Barrett's and my backpack. I grabbed our jackets, hats, and some firewood (no foraging in the park). Robyn soon returned with our man-food. After the cooler was packed, we were off!
We listened to George Strait all the way to the park (I have been working on Barrett for months to like him!), and Barrett asked me 10,000 questions in his excitement. After checking in at the Ranger's Station, I found our site and we set-up camp.
Here is Barrett helping me with the tent. He could hardly stand the wait to get inside.

After I got the rainfly on and the guy-lines taught, Barrett made himself at home. Notice the jacket already...

Once the tent was up, I put the sleeping bags inside and inflated the air mattress(What, you think I was going to totally rough it on his first camping trip?). Surprise -- Instead of grabbing the queen mattress, I grabbed the TWIN mattress in my haste! Oh well, that's what I get for being a weenie and packing an air mattress in the first place...
About dusk, Barrett was hungry, so I showed him how to build a fire (Don't worry, he was given explicit instructions not to do this without Daddy around). We then had our first meal...Fire Dogs! Barrett had requested hot dogs, so I showed him how to roast them over the flames. He ate every bit!
Barrett with the fire (notice the woolly hat...).

After dinner, we of course made S'mores. By this time, there was steam coming out of my mouth from the chill. Barrett looked at me puzzled and said, "Daddy, there's a fire in your mouth!" We then spent the next few minutes learning how to blow steam. So easily entertained!
Although it was only 7:15pm, Barrett was already asking to get in the tent and go to sleep! He was so excited about sleeping in the tent and sleeping bags! He was so into it!
So I gave in and we turned in about 730. I zipped our bags together and got him into his warm jammies (and 2 pair of socks, and his jacket, and his woolly hat!). After about 20 minutes of speed talking, he fell asleep. I woke up very cold at 1030pm. The weather man is a liar! My phone registered 37 degrees! After putting my jacket on I checked on Barrett. Luckily, he was warm. Now I was worried though. I woke up every hour after that to make sure he was okay. Fortunately, he was toasty next to me. Eventually, I got decent sleep, too...
And at the crack of dawn, Barrett was ready to go. He kept saying that he loved camping and sleeping in the sleeping bags.
Here he is shortly after sunrise.

After a breakfast of cinammon rolls, we struck camp so that we could go to the nature exhibit and pet baby alligators! Alligators are a big part of this park, and as such, the rangers have a collection of babies that you can pet. Barrett had a ball. Sadly, Daddy forgot the camera in the truck...
After the nature exhibit, we went for a 2 mile hike around one of the lakes in the park. By hike I mean an extended ride on Daddy's shoulders. At the midpoint of the trail, there was a 4-story tower that we climbed to get a better view.
Barrett insisted on playing photographer.

Here he is on the tower.

At the completion of our hike, we headed for home. We had a great time, and I think that next time Barrett will allow Mommy and Hunter to come along, too!
How much fun Roger! I loved reading about it from your point of view too, what a super daddy you are to take him camping AND document it with pictures AND write about it on the blog! So glad you had fun, I had a great time reading it!
ReplyDelete