Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of School

Barrett had his first day back at Mother's Day Out (MDO) today. Roger and I had been talking about school a lot with him and how it would be so much fun. I was a bit nervous as to how the day would go since Barrett has gotten very upset to be away from me lately.

Here he is all dressed but not wanting his picture taken!


We started the morning off with some doughnuts and kolaches for breakfast and some talking about what toys he would play with in his classroom. He very clearly told me, "I don't want to go to school. I stay with Mommy." No tears, just adamant that he wasn't interested today. He did get a bit excited when I named his friends he would see, so we packed up his lunch, nap mat, and backpack and headed to MDO.

Barrett walked into his classroom and began playing with puzzles while I put away his belongings. Still no tears! However, the time came for me to leave. I went to tell him goodbye, and that I would see him after nap time. He immediately started crying and didn't want me to leave, poor baby. He held onto his raggy and was very sad as I walked out the door (which broke my heart). I worried about him pretty much all day, but I tried to reassure myself that he would be fine and would get busy playing and have fun.



At 2:00, I went to pick him up and he ended up having a great day! His teachers said that he stayed upset for a bit, but he got busy on projects and had a lot of fun. They also said Barrett even tried to calm down another girl who was getting upset toward the end of the day! He has such a sweet and kind heart. He was very excited to see me and told me that he missed me. He also said he had a lot of fun and would go back and play another day! I think overall, it was a very successful first day back!
Here he is with his best buddies!

2 comments:

  1. I love that Barrett was trying to calm down the little girl in his class...that's so sweet! Sounds like he made a lot of progress in just one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so glad that it went to well Robyn! I can totally see how he would be sweet to that one girl that was so sad because he is so sweet to Baby Bekah : ). Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete